Sunday, November 14, 2010

Norwell 5k RR

After finding out I had to work for the Dec. 5 Jingle Bell race I decided to search the local scene for another race. I happened upon the Norwell 5k in Norwell, Mass. It seemed to be a perfect race for a PR....small, only 150 people, or so, last year. We got there about 40 minutes early, enough time to show off our shoes and get our bibs. The photographer was so impressed with our kicks, Sean and I both got close up snap-shots.

After the inevitable pre-race poop, we lined up at the starting line. I had really high expectations for myself, considering recent training runs I had had. For some reason my brand new GPS watch would not lock on to the damn satelitte, so I was stuck with an incredibly over-sized regular watch. After the gun went off, it was nice not having to bob and weave through all the slower runners in front of me. From the first turn I set off to run nothing but the sharpest tangents I could, something I have been working on for every previous race.

I started out strong, feeling really well. The course was not scenic at all like it was described to be, but it was perfect for running. At the first mile marker I was exactly at 7:40...whoa, what the hell was I doing. I really didn't feel bad though so I decided to keep going at the same pace. Midway through the second mile there was a sharp downhill section laster a few hundred feet (bonus). I took full advantage of it and tried to go as fast as I could. Once we came close to the turnaround, I saw Kevin..then Sean....then Nikki. Once I saw the second mile marker, I glanced at my watch and saw 15:10...a 7:30 mile. With only 1.1 to go I knew I could keep that pace up, but that downhill now became a daunting uphill behemoth that lied ahead of me.

For some reason, maybe I was just feeling it, the hill did not faze me at all. I think I passed 6 or 7 people on it. Once I hit the top I knew I was going to utterly destroy the rest of it. I finished strong at nearly the same pace as the rest of the race, save for a nice sprint at the end. Finishing time: 23:42.. about a 7:38 mile. The thing that impressed me most was the completely even splits, almost exact considering the hill.

Once I heard Kevin's time, and saw Sean and Nikki finish and saw their times, I was highly skeptical about the actually distance of the course. For some reason as soon as I turned on my watch the GPS worked right away.. lame. So we decided to do probably the most ridiculous thing we could do and walk the entire 5k again to see if it was accurate. The Garmin said it was exactly 3.1 miles, so these times are 100% Bobby Jenks certified.

The best things about doing these races for me, is the huge inspiration I get to train for the few weeks after. I mostly cannot wait to run again. Next on my plan: a 10k in December in Newport. Not only is it an auto PR... I think it will be a perfect running distance. After that, actually the next day, my marathon training starts. Bring it Boston.

5 comments:

  1. Good work Knapp, you've shaved some serious time off in the last few months.

    What's this 10k you speak of? I want in

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shoe close-up. I'm guessing Kinvaras and Lunars. The dedication to walk 3.1 miles to double check your times, epic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see the photos from the race!
    I completely agree with you about gaining inspiration from getting PR's at these races...totally pumps me up to run more and try harder!

    Mostly can't wait to get my forerunner too (finally! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10k is... http://www.oplusracemanagement.com/upcoming.html .. the bottom one. There aren't many 10k's I can find in the area, and I really want to do one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and yea Tang, the Kinvaras and Lunars were obviously a hit, obviously

    ReplyDelete