Sunday, April 13, 2014

11th Annual Nutrition Fuels Fitness 5K Race Report

As I was reading past race reports as advice to myself from the distant past, I have come to one conclusion: there is never a lead up to a race where things are going easy.  Job change, moving, licensing, oh and lack of sleep the past 3 nights.  I finally got a haircut and J. Crew socks for my swan song out of Rhode Island Hospital.  Ok, time for the race.

Why am I doing a 5k sans Andrew Knapp?  Last minute, a co-worker (Dan) enlisted me for to the Tuesday Night Turtles group, in need of a third to run for team awards.  My given goal was to run a 23.

I would pack for the race and to run an errand afterwards the day of.  I GPS'ed my way to the horse portion of Goddard Park...and then finally made it to the park on my intuition (like a man).  As I parked, I saw my backpack for all my stuff and ... wait, my shoes are ...
on my table.

In Providence.

Because luck has been on my side recently,  Dan slept late and was able to find a pair of 11's from a roommate.  Clutch.  I was in boat shoes until 15 minutes before the race.  Cardinal sin much? No new gear right before the race, but it was old gear so...:shrugs shoulders:

Dan gave me a heads up on the course info pre-race to help me feel a little bit at ease.  The beginning started too quick, near 6 minute pace so I let people pass me as I tried to stick it at 7 minute pace with a nice looking runner in front setting the pace for me.  Towards the middle of the race, the pacer for myself unwillingly became my rabbit; the man in green and sun glasses.

We faced a bit of wind so I tucked in behind until the wind broke (har har har) near the 2 mile mark and tried to make a move and pass the pacer.  He shot back and was about 5 to 10 seconds ahead for most of the last mile.  Two younger runners came out of nowhere before the bridge and as I saw Dan cheering me on, I had to put the after burners on, passed one of the younger runners, and JUST squeaked in front of the 60-69 year old pacer who said great race as I (hopefully in not a smug way) told him thanks for pacing.  The younger runner who did beat me by 2 seconds came in 2nd in our age group.

A "cool down" 2 miler off road with the number 2 and 3 runners from the race = continue race pace.  This is what it must feel like when I bring new runners in to the fold; barely able to keep up as these two were speaking in tongues of other tribesmen who run trail races or ran in high school/ college.

So what did my late entry bring?  48 Samuel Adams's and peanuts.

Yeah.




As third in my age group at 21:34, I got a 10 dollar gift certificate, a glass water bottle, teas for PMSing, and a pink shirt aka soccer mom gift basket.

Notes:
I at least remembered my iPod that was actually charged for once.  Been real finnicky as of late.

I am now a Tuesday Night Turtle??? Fees paid for by the head honcho who didn't want the free hooch because he brews his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment