Thursday, October 27, 2011

Training

This past Sunday:
East Bay Bike Path with a fellow pharmacist from work who just finished a half. 1:56 easy for a 13 miler, hopefully this means sub 4 in Miami isn't a pipe dream.


14 today.

After a night out, training didn't seem like a great idea last night so I scratched the 7 miler planned and turned to a comforting long run of 14 right in the heart of the storm. It was so bad that I'm currently washing my gloves, jacket, t-shirt, shorts, shoes, socks. I had to do the last 3 on the apartment treadmill for fear of getting a cold or injuring myself.

After tacking on my miles on the treadmill these past months, running 11 through Providence, despite the dreary weather, was just what I needed. I may be alone in this, but I like running just for the simple act of running; not really concentrating on races or times. Knowing I was one of a few crazy souls to run and thinking it was a good idea to. Getting lost in songs I forgot about thanks to shuffle. The leaves changing. Calves coated in remnants of the haphazard trail I usually take across the city (anyone who's followed me around the city knows what I mean). A couple new side streets and houses to gawk at. Businesses coming and going and the slow construction on Weybosset St. and Blackstone Park, as if I knew these places like the back of my hand thanks to running.

The past couple months have been a bit taxing. It's nice to have a goal in mind (run 14 miles) and have that as your thought and accomplishing it that day. None of your other problems are solved by the end (at least for my runs) but you definitely have a more positive outlook; you have to considering I had to do a couple loud claps to keep myself motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment