Monday, January 3, 2011

Winter Training

I have had a shameful 12 day running drought these past couple weeks so I knew it was time to go out and do some work today. Sadly all my running bros were working today so I had to fly solo. I got to test out some new running gear that I got for Christmas including an Ipod Nano and a Nike Therma-Fit running hoodie. The temperature was 34 degrees by my thermometer, and it was sunny with no wind. It seemed like perfect running conditions but when I got to the path it was frozen over. The snow was hard and crunchy and there were footprints everywhere making an uneven surface. There were spots of bare pavement that seemed nice to run on but they were often covered with treacherous black ice. As I plowed through the first mile or so I had some near falls, but managed to stay on my feet. Then just after the 2nd mile I slipped and made a spectacular diving fall and slid off the path and into the snow. Luckily no one was around to laugh at me. Even more luckily, I didn't destroy my new Ipod or rip my sweet running pants. I realized I had to run through the snow where there were no footprints. It was tougher to run, but at least it wasn't slippery. I felt like Rocky running through the snowy wasteland of Siberia in Rocky IV. Despite the conditions I felt really good, like I could keep running all day. I decided to do 8 miles, I was tempted to go longer but I want to run tomorrow too so I didn't overdo it. Running song of the day was "One Shot at Glory" by Judas Priest. Totally epic song with inspiring lyrics, I know you guys don't listen to much heavy metal but you should check it out I was PUMPED UP when it came on. I can't wait for my next run, also we need to find a race soon. I'm looking into some new running shoes to alternate with the Lunarglides. I want to try the Nike FREEs any recommendations?

2 comments:

  1. I'd recc the 4th version of the Frees (the ones Knapp, Kevin, Nikki, or I have) just for aesthetic reasons. I'm sure the new ones are just as good if not better. Kevin's is 7.0 so they have more cushion than the 5.0's. You can't lose either way. Pretty comfortable for work. Just go easy and short when you first use em; your calves will burn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, they are used supposedly just to strengthen on shorter runs but you can pretty much use them at your own discretion; Jess ran in hers for a half marathon. Try not to use them every day basically until you know you can.

    ReplyDelete