Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Injury Prevention: The Hips

The main muscles that I never thought were part of my run (or were not worth working out because I thought running alone would strengthen these muscles) were my hips, glutes, and core. There are a million other running rules that I tried to challenge along the way and this was no exception to the rule; post-injury, working these muscles out definitely helped me and I hope you start before you do what I did.

The Hips:
I found myself often having my hips move up and down way too much while running which caused an imbalance in my running, leading to my leg injury last year. In an effort to correct that, I found these exercises to be the most helpful:

Clamshells

(from SeeJessRun website)

Runner's World videos
Supine March
Supine Drive
Side Lift

No comments:

Post a Comment