Friday, August 20, 2010

First Try at Intervals

I. Intervals: Am I doing this right?
II. Re: Jess's post
III. Closing Thoughts

I.
Intervals
5 X 400 m

I haven't hit a track up since randomly running around with Brian and Knapp sophomore year every so often. Thanks to Freebird's (the equivalent of Chipotle but better in Texas), I can breathe after a carnitas spinach tortilla burrito unlike inhaling a Chipotle burrito doused in green Tabasco sauce. The insomnia from the exam surprisingly didn't help.

First timer thoughts:
Pros:
+You get to run as fast as you want for one lap around a track, pretending to be (track star of the week)

+Some new data to analyze (And reanalyze. And overanalyze)

+New entry in the runningahead log

+I know what easy and race pace are consistently according to my times

+First time on the Plano Senior High School track and it is definitely nicer than URI's

+Fast twitch fiber workout

+Bringing something new to the arsenal

+So 5 minutes ago: Running 100 consecutive days. In: Following a plan for the first time.

Cons:
-No speed at all (lost my 3rd gear)

question: Is there a less embarrassing way of recording interval times? Scrap piece of paper and pen by the side of the track worked at least.


II.

Jess: Welcome to the Nike Free World, which on last count was inhabited by Knapp, Brian, Nikki, Kevin, and Tang. Get ready to have some sore (a good sore) calves and strengthened feet. They advertise that you do not have to wear socks but I definitely wear socks with my pair. They definitely won't be sufficient for runs longer than 10k due to the lack of support. Lunar Elites would be a good idea for longer runs aka the half-marathon due to more support.

Love the W.W.I.A.F.T.M- dubbed arm movement (Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man). The only thing I would add is for your hands, act as if you are holding an egg and every so often, drop them to the side and shake them to relax them (thanks for that move, Brian).

As far as stride is concerned, here's my two cents: I am newly converted in to thinking a shorter stride with a higher leg turnover (all this means is you are moving your legs quicker) is helping me from getting injured again. Putting your foot too far ahead of you leads to injury and your feet should be instead more likely to hit your butt. When your feet hit the ground, they should be right under you.

Again, I'm jealous that you and Tyler get to run in the CVS 5k which is a pretty big deal to the top runners in America. Here's to two new PRs.





Closing Notes:
Thanks to Knapp's tip, Hulu.com has a couple movies on tap for free to watch. Spirit of the Marathon follows a wide range of runners entering the Chicago Marathon, from the elite to the newbies. The Long Green Line follows a dominating high school cross country team.

The only condition that would help me at the Dallas half is ice, snow, and cold weather. Thanks Providence.


After taking an exam I went in to shut down mode aka time to go on facebook. I noticed the three best 5k times of 2010 look like this:

(Notice my awesome pre-Photoshop editing skills aka Paintbrush, giving a glass of milk to Kevin at a Halloween party)



Last but not least...

Albino Kenyan Pat has been let loose? The state versus state matchup was semi-competitive with Pat running with Lauren but now the scales are tilting. The Team Dallas v Team Newport is now a David v Goliath matchup. And due to it being 5 v 6, we'll have to average finish times.

No comments:

Post a Comment