Monday, September 6, 2010

Week 4

Knapp: Thanks for the 5k update. I did see those PRs in the logs but for some reason, something that sticks out as much as "BUTTERFLY 5k" just didn't hit me for some reason. I'll address this again (and again) in this post, but I'd love to see a 5k race where you go out even pace and then that'll pummel your PR.

As far as the Achilles tendonitis is concerned, I think my dad just got out of a bout of this. His occurred in the AM and went away after walking around for a while but he said the pain was throbbing. Anyways, it disappeared after 3 days. My 2 cents? Take a couple days off. It's better to do that than powering through training and not being able to run the half. Ice it, heat it, stretch it, whatever you think works.


Nikki: Look at this one, quoting Dean. Just make sure this pain you are feeling is from pushing it hard and not in actuality an injury. Also, while the title for your post does have the word "disappointing" in it, let's look over some facts I picked up from your entry:


-9 a.m. run?
-5.75 miles?
-quoting Ultramarathon Man?

Someone PLEASE tell me who this person is. I could've been hanging out with them last summer in Providence on my 9 a.m. long runs around the East side then going to Nick's or Seven Stars to read Ultramarathon Man.


For your next long run, I would suggest that you run it at around 12 minute pace and that only every once in a while, you run a shorter distance a bit quicker. I'm not sure if you are running with a plan in mind but I would say long run on the weekend at 12 minute pace and during the week, run some fartlek miles (har har) and some easy miles. It's all about adding mileage to your body, the faster time will come with consistent mileage. After all, you are training and not running a race every time out.

I did like the fact that some professionals use a quick quote to keep them motivated whenever they need it. Personally, I love Deena Kastor's "Define yourself" quote. Nikki, find an inspirational quote or channel a plethora of running gods and goddesses and use that whenever you feel you can't push yourself.


As for us three and the rest of the team, it sounds like pacing is always a toughie whether in a race or in the long run. With an extra year of semi-serious running to look back upon, I will have to tell you that it helps to know that we all possess at least three different gears. Don't worry, my first year, I ran always at the same pace and have had to reassess how to train the right way.


I like to think of 1st gear as a pace that anyone should feel they can hold forever. You should be able to talk (but not sing because that means that is way too easy). 2nd is the race pace that will tire you out for the race you are training for and 3rd is that all-out sprint that we can hold in case of emergency/ the first minute of a race. I think that we should all try to identify pace and effort.

So for now on long runs, I know if I take it at 1st gear, I can finish the distance at X-minute pace. Was it the fastest I could run it? No. But while we are training for longer distances, I feel as beginners we should be aiming more for finishing for that mental victory and not trying to beat the clock. The speed will come with piling on miles.


Today's run:

Having a 5k race scheduled, I decided to just go on my usual 5k out and back path at a pretty (relatively) fast pace. The weather as always was sticky so after a while I had to go bare chested. It being a tempo run, I didn't have time to go pirate and tie the shirt around my head so I went for the scarf. Even though I knew the run would be ran with a positive split at the half way point, I did feel as though the intervals I had started doing was helping with speed. The whole way, I told myself "run this like the 400 you did on Wednesday". I got home and passed out on the lawn.

As far as training is going, I've been following the plan as close as I can. These next two weeks will be crucial as the long run enters in to 7 and 8 miles. The past 3 weeks' mileage was something I could handle but it'll be as always a mental hurdle rather than physical.

No comments:

Post a Comment