Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 1, again for the Athletic Bastards in the AM

Thanks to the stipulation that the New Recruit can only run before work, I was confused and awoken at 5:40 by an alarm, drove out to his house, and heard an interesting sound. Was it a dog yowling? A baby?

It was a rooster. It was THAT early. (Pat, I don't know how you get up this early to run)

Light turns on inside the house. Thank god I did not wake up early for my own benefit.

First run: ~2 miles

With all the familiar Tang-isms during a run:" Keep your shoulders loose, your hands loose, take shorter strides, run slower than you think you can."

The funniest comment: he said that when he drives, he sees runners like us and thinks, man, what athletic bastards. I myself know that same feeling because that was me 2 years ago. I said the only difference between a runner and yourself is patience and commitment. In a month's time, you can say the same about yourself; an athletic bastard.

More eloquently put,

It takes patience to become the best runner you can be. Top athletes realize that running is a long-term sport. It is set up for people who value delayed gratification and who like hard-earned success.
Anthony Famiglietti, two-time Olympian and six-time national champion


So as long as this person keeps running, it keeps me motivated to run at early times since I'm too lazy to get up that early. It's weird because even though I like running, right now it's going to take this reliance on counting on each other to run early.

Running early feels so great after, knowing that you are done the rest of the day. I felt so great that I drove home and ran another 3.1 without knowing Lisa and JoAnn were running so I ran in to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment