Friday, July 2, 2010

The Long Run

Runners
AM
Tang, H/L

Mid
Tang, A


Before heading out to ATX this weekend for the 4th I thought I'd throw in a long run in support of the team members who will be tackling 10 miles in less than a month. I can't wait until the weather goes back to the tune of below 60.

While on the run:
  • The Chisholm Trail can be split in to 3 sections; boring trail, (turn at the North Pole house), dog park/ dog poo minefield, (past the newly built memorial), and a duck pond. When the sky isn't threatening to rain, I'll take a camera on the run to help everyone visualize the trail where my words lack imagination.
  • One pro of Plano trails in replacing Blackstone Park: If I plan it out, I get a water fountain roughly every 10 minutes on my long run.
  • Blackstone and water fountains (or bubblers): 0.
  • I say "How's it goin?" to everyone I see on the run so it shook me when a lady and her dog said "not good" (the lady, not the dog) because the dog dragged her in to the muddy creek leaving her with mud on her backside.
  • Without good pacing and 4 pints of Fat Tire Ale, today's run was uneven and I succumbed to :gasp: walking a bit. In honor of the World Cup, I added 2 minutes to my finishing time due to stoppage.
  • Thanks to the incredible heat, I went shirtless midday through main streets with high school kids out of school so if I did not get a shout out, I could not consider it a proper run. 200 meters left, a car somehow spots me through trees and the stereotypical passenger says "put on a shirt". This is the exact opposite of what the fit and proper bird (too much BBC this week) was saying to me on the trail. This is probably the first stage towards the (thought?) process that started The Situation from The Jersey Shore.


And to go off on a tangent I figured in "the long run" of things, I wanted to remind everyone to work out (strengthening your core, hips, legs) as well as stretching beforehand and after to prevent injury (I'm no hypocrite any more since I'm doing this). I remember being sidelined for a month and not feeling too great. Once you get bit by the running bug, you want to keep it going so think about running not only for today, but :dramatic pause: the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment